testata Forum Natura Mediterraneo
Forum | Registrati | Msg attivi | Msg Recenti | Msg Pvt | Utenti | Galleria | Map | Gadgets | Cerca | | FAQ | Regole |NUOVA Tassonomia | Pagina Facebook di Natura Mediterraneo | Google+
Suggerimento: Leggi il nostro regolamento!! Clicca qui!
Cerca
Salva
Password dimenticata

Galleria Tassonomica
 di Natura Mediterraneo

Tutti i Forum
 Forum Animali - Natura Mediterraneo
   ACARI, SCORPIONI E RAGNI
 Araneae
 Neoscona adianta - name meaning
 Nuova Discussione
 Versione Stampabile my nm Leggi più tardi
I seguenti utenti stanno leggendo questo Forum Qui c'è:
Autore Discussione Precedente Discussione Discussione Successiva  

Amir
Utente Senior

Città: Tel-Aviv

Regione: Israel

785 Messaggi
Tutti i Forum

Inserito il - 28 marzo 2010 : 13:12:42 Mostra Profilo  Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia

Ciao

I'm trying to understand the sourcing and the meaning of the names - "Neoscona" and "adianta"

All the clues from some sources in the web lead to no logical (for me)place.

Any help will appreciate

Adding a Neoscona adianta while molting

Immagine:
201,25 KB

Amir

my albums:
Link

My insects blog (Hebrew)
Link

Spiders Snapshots (English)
Link

elleelle
Moderatore Trasversale

Città: roma

Regione: Lazio

32778 Messaggi
Flora e Fauna

Inserito il - 28 marzo 2010 : 13:24:31 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
A very good photo and a lucky strike!
About the name, I don't know the meaning of Neoscona, except for the obvious "neo = new", while "adianta" should mean that this species prefers xeric environmets, whit little humidity.
luigi
Torna all'inizio della Pagina

Pepsis
Moderatore

Città: Roma

5036 Messaggi
Flora e Fauna

Inserito il - 28 marzo 2010 : 15:18:30 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
Both are from Greek: Neoscona means "new dust", adianta means "dry places"

Amir
Utente Senior

785 Messaggi
Tutti i Forum

Inserito il - 29 marzo 2010 : 07:23:36 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
Grazie

An interesting explanation, still it's hard for me to understand what was in Walckenaer (1802) mind while he given the species name to this spider.

adding more 2 photos

The first show the male waiting in patience for the virgin female while she molting.

The second photo show (anther couple from same location) a "frustrated" male trying copulate. The female was trying avoid him most of the time.

Immagine:
168,88 KB

Immagine:
232,83 KB

my albums:
Link

My insects blog (Hebrew)
Link

Link

Juventino
Utente Super

Città: Nizza

Regione: France

10135 Messaggi
Tutti i Forum

Inserito il - 29 marzo 2010 : 08:12:30 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
Beautiful photos!!!

Link
L’école buissonnière

elleelle
Moderatore Trasversale

Città: roma

Regione: Lazio

32778 Messaggi
Flora e Fauna

Inserito il - 29 marzo 2010 : 22:49:35 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
I agree with Catherine abuot the photos.
As for the behaviour you have observed, sometimes males wait for the last molting of a female because only after it she will become sexually mature.
They stand waiting patiently because so they are shure to be the first.
But the female needs a little time for being mature; al least so far to get her skeleton dry and hard; what does not result of your last photo.
luigi

Lucarelli
Utente Senior

Città: Livorno
Prov.: Livorno

Regione: Toscana

577 Messaggi
Tutti i Forum

Inserito il - 30 marzo 2010 : 17:53:18 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
Ciao Amir,

beatiful photos, my compliments.
Regarding the name, I could find something with Google and Google books.
Walckenaer mentions the spider in Faune parisienne, insectes: Ou Histoire abrégée des insectes des environs de Paris (1802), on page 199 as Aranea adianta.

Link

Adianta comes from Greek and means “not wetting”, in this case it refers to Adiantum, genus of "Maidenhair ferns" (Link), or ferns in general. The french trivial name of the spider is “fern spider”, adiante fougère (interesting that the German trivial name has another meaning; Heideradnetzspinne, where Heide means heath, heathlands or heath plants (Ericaceae)).

The genus Neoscona was introduced by Eugène Simon; in his book Histoire naturelle des araignées (aranéides) he gives the following etymology (page 261)

Link

Neoscona (neo, filer; skoinos; roseau), that means Neo: to spin, to heap up, "bind together", Skoinos: something like reed or rush.

Saluti,

--- Lucarelli ---

Modificato da - Lucarelli in data 30 marzo 2010 18:02:12

Amir
Utente Senior

785 Messaggi
Tutti i Forum

Inserito il - 02 aprile 2010 : 06:41:08 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
ciao

Thanks to all

As to the "Neoscona", since it's referring the genus name and we r not sure which spider's species was first won the name, its hard to say how the meaning is related to the N.adianta behaves, if so.

Add a photo of an eggs sac, which attached to a Apiaceae inflorescence used by a big N. adianta female as web anchor.

Immagine:
274,08 KB

my albums:
Link

My insects blog (Hebrew)
Link

Link

Amir
Utente Senior

785 Messaggi
Tutti i Forum

Inserito il - 03 aprile 2010 : 05:48:19 Mostra Profilo Apri la Finestra di Tassonomia
Hi

Here the eggs sac as it look from yesterday
Strangely the eggs cluster was hang outside (who open the sac?)
The female was not there (also the web go)

This is the only egg sac in the vicinity, there r many mature females around, but this is the only eggs sac I found there.
I'm still not sure its belong to Neoscona adianta. There is also Agalenatea redii 30 cm beside. who know?

Immagine:
227,8 KB

my albums:
Link

My insects blog (Hebrew)
Link

Link
  Discussione Precedente Discussione Discussione Successiva  
 Nuova Discussione
 Versione Stampabile my nm Leggi più tardi
Scorciatoia

Natura Mediterraneo © 2003-2020 Natura Mediterraneo Torna all'inizio della Pagina
Questa pagina è stata generata in 0,91 secondi. TargatoNA.it | Movie BackStage | Snitz Forums 2000

Leps.it | Herp.it | Lynkos.net